Research & Library Resources
- Regional Medical Libraries – Library access available to AHEC preceptors and students in Central and Northeast Iowa. Contact your regional AHEC for more information.
- Des Moines University Library – One of the National Library of Medicine's Resource Libraries with journals, medical books, online references and additional resources open to the public during normal business hours.
- National Library of Medicine – Health news, information, databases and electronic resources from the world's largest medical library.
- ClinicalTrials.gov – U.S. National Institutes of Health's (NIH) registry of clinical trials conducted throughout the world.
- Dietary Supplements Labels Database – Information about the ingredients listed on the labels of over 4,000 dietary supplements.
- Google Scholar – Google's search engine designed specifically for scholarly literature.
- GPO Access – Service from the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO) providing official information from all three branches of federal government, including resources like the Code of Federal Regulations and Federal Register.
- Huge Navigator – Access to searchable knowledge base of genetic associations and human genome epidemiology.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM) – Information on treatments and conditions from the government's lead agency for scientific research.
- National Guidelines Clearinghouse (NGC) – Public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) – Access to biomedical and genomic information.
- Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man (OMIM) – Full-text, referenced overviews of all known mendelian disorders and more than 12,000 genes.
- Osteopathic Medicine Digital Repository (OSTMED.DR) – Online collection of osteopathic literature.
- PubMed – Access to over 19 million citations for biomedical articles from MEDLINE and life science journals. Learn how to use the database by watching the animated tutorials.
- Specialized Information Services – Resources from the National Library of Medicine (NLM) about toxicology, chemistry, environmental health and other specialized topics.
- Toxicology Literature Online (TOXLINE) – References from toxicology literature.
Electronic Journal & Book Collections
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) – Service offering free access to thousands of full-text scholarly and scientific journals.
- Free Medical Books – Unrestricted access to hundreds of full-text medical textbooks.
- Free Medical Journals – Listing of over 1,000 free, full-text medical journals.
- HighWire Press – Largest collection of free, full-text scientific articles published online.
- NCBI Bookshelf – Searchable biomedical book list from the National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- PubMed Central – NLM's free archive of full-text articles from biomedical and life science journals.
These subject guides, courtesy of the Des Moines University Library, provide a comprehensive list of online resources for different health topics.