College & Career Planning Resources
For K-12 & Undergraduate Students
- AspiringDocs.org – News, deadlines, local events and resources for students interested in a career in medicine.
- Iowa Health Careers – Information on 100 healthcare careers, as well as schools, professional testimonials and programs for students interested in health careers.
- Iowa College Access Network (ICAN) – Resource for planning, applying and paying for college.
- Iowa Hospital Association – Information on healthcare careers, schools and scholarships.
- The Scope – Monthly web series about health careers and opportunities for students interested in healthcare.
For Health Professions Students
- Careers in Medicine – Career planning program from the American Association for Medical Colleges (AAMC) designed to help you choose a medical specialty and residency program.
- Fulfilling Iowa's Need for Dentists (FIND) – Project to alleviate the critical shortage of dentists in underserved Iowa counties by connecting dentists to communities.
- Faculty Loan Repayment Program – Program to help health professions faculty from disadvantaged backgrounds pay back their student loans.
- National Health Service Corps (NHSC) – Scholarship and loan repayment program for practitioners in underserved areas.
- Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program – Loan repayment program for registered nurses who work at non-profit facilities or as nursing school faculty.
- Osteopathic Physician Recruitment Program (OPRP) – Des Moines University's loan repayment program for students with an interest in rural practice.
- Primary Care Recruitment and Retention Endeavor (PRIMECARRE) – Loan repayment program administered by the Iowa Department of Public Health. Applications are due July 13th, 2011.
- Rural Medicine Educational Pathway – Des Moines University's scholarship program for students interested in practicing in rural Iowa.